skip to Main Content
photo courtesy of City of Malibu
Photo courtesy of City of Malibu

Do not attempt to handle an injured marine animal yourself.

In 2015, we had an unprecedented number of lost or orphan seal lion and seal pups. For information on who to contact for wildlife in peril, call the California Department of Fish and Wildlife at 858-467-4201.

Report Beached or Injured Animals

  • California Wildlife Center
    310-458-9453 (310-458-WILD)
  • Marine Animal Rescue
    Pacific Palisades South to Wilmington
    800-394-2537 (800-3-WHALES)

Tips from the California Wildlife Center

Do not touch, pick up, pour water on, or feed the animal!
They are wild animals and can bite. They also are easily stressed by humans.

Do not return the animal to the water
Seals and sea lions temporarily “haul out” on land to rest. Harbor seal mothers often leave their pups ashore while they’re feeding at sea. A beached whale, dolphin, or porpoise should be reported immediately.

Observe the animal from a distance of at least 50 feet. Keep people and dogs away.

Note physical characteristics such as size, presence of external earflaps, and fur color. This helps us determine the species, what rescue equipment and volunteers are needed.

Note the animal’s condition. Is it weak and underweight? Are there any open wounds?

Does the animal have any obvious identification tags or markings?

Determine the exact location of the animal in order to provide accurate directions. We cannot rescue an animal if we cannot find it!

Call the rescue team with as much information as you have.


Back To Top