Living Lightly: Top 10
1. Go Wild! Plant Native Plants: Many species that grow naturally in our Mediterranean climate are drought-resistant.
2. Save Water: By conserving water on outdoor use, you can help save valuable drinking water for California residents.
3. Reduce Your Waste and Recycle: Don’t forget to re-use materials whenever possible.
4. Keep Toxics Out of the Trash: Find out what common household materials cannot go into your trash bins due to dangers to public health.
5. Get Out of Your Car: Ride a bike. Take a bus or train somewhere instead of driving. Join a carpool to shrink your carbon footprint.
6. Turn It Off: We spend most of our time at work during the week. Why not find ways to conserve energy for yourself and your boss?
7. Grow Your Own: Be more sustainable by creating an edible landscape.
8. Scoop the Poop: Keep pets indoors or on a leash. Wildlife is sometimes harassed by domesticated animals and often sees them as prey.
9. Go to the Car Wash: Water runoff from washing your car can pick up pollutants on the street and travel directly to the ocean untreated.
10. Shop & Work Mindfully : Buying “green” criteria can apply to everything from groceries to office supplies to that special dress.